Hard to believe this year is coming to a close already. I hope you are enjoying a warm season full of love and peace.
I wanted to share my favorite chocolate peppermint cookie recipe that are so minty and buttery, you won’t be able to eat just one. These are the perfect cookies for the holidays – festive and full of Christmas cheer. These are the perfect cookies for the holidays – festive and full of Christmas cheer. My sister is less of a peppermint fan and even she really liked these cookies. I like them so much that I’m afraid I’ll be craving them all year round. Don’t tell anyone, but I may just have to stash away some peppermint M&Ms and candy canes so I can make them again later. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookie recipe
As I mixed the dough, I was certain it was going to be too dry. It just seemed like too much flour, but in the end it was just fine.
There are several ways you can go about crushing the candy canes. I placed the candy canes in a large ziploc bag and wacked it with my rolling pin.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips *
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes *
- 1 cup White Chocolate Peppermint M&M’s (optional)
* I have used the Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark bars intead of the last 3 ingredients and they are a delicious substitute.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars together in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips, candy canes, and M&M’s.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack and cool completely.